THE BLAKELY BUNCH

Monday, November 16, 2009

Locked In

Yep, that's right...Reed was accidentally locked in a running vehicle, in the middle of the country.

My parents have a place out in East Texas that is literally in the middle of the sticks. It is so far off the beaten path that they bought a truck to leave down at the nearest airport to drive while you are there.

Reed and I joined my mom last Wednesday for a quick trip so she could get a few things done around there. We stopped in town to drop off my car, picked up the truck and headed into the forest. After we got to the house and unloaded our things, we drove the truck down so she could change the battery in the deer feeder. I was sitting in the front seat reading directions to her on how to install the battery and in the mean time Reed climbed in the back and was playing with his car seat. I noticed his cheeks starting to turn pink so I turned the truck on to get some airflow.

After she installed the battery she was wanting to move the truck closer so she could stand on the side to see how much corn was left in the feeder. I jumped out to help guide her closer, shut the passenger door just as she was trying to open the driver side door. Next thing I hear is "oh my gosh Jessica, the doors are locked." I proceeded with an "oh s#!%, what are we gonna do???" My heart sank and I went into complete freak out mode. Here we are in the middle of no where and my child is locked inside of a running vehicle. I ran up to the house, grabbed our phones and luckily was able to get in touch with my dad to tell him to call a lock smith. While waiting for someone to show up, if anyone was going to show up, we were able to guide Reed to the front seat. I was yelling at him to push the button in hopes he would hit the unlock button but he just kept hitting the lock button or go and act like he was driving the truck...with a big smile on his face. Finally, after about 30 minutes of yelling "push the button" he tapped the down button for the window and we were able to stick a coat hanger down the side and hit the unlock button. Reed was free at last.

I think I almost put myself into labor and my mom about gave herself a heart attack while Reed was having a blast. Thank goodness he didn't start freaking out because I think that would have made the situation way more hectic. HUGE lesson learned, always make sure the truck is unlocked before shutting the door.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am sure you were in a panic...we live in East Texas don't know if you were close to us or not but we would have gladly helped. Hopefully it won't happen again. Glad you got him safely.

Lisa and Ryan said...

Ha- that's funny! Well, probably not funny at the time though! At least the car was on and there was air flow in there!

the tatsaks said...

Oh my gosh!!! I would have freaked out too!!! Glad you have a cooperative little boy!